02 January 2005

Request from Iraq

This is part of an email from my dear friend Nick who is currently in Iraq. I thought that you may be interested in helping him out... I'm going to be sending him some items and doing a minidrive, so, if you want to help out I'd be happy to add anythings you can donate to my load. (I may do a drive at AU after the tsunami relief work is winding down).

Sounds like it could be a project for SDAC or some of your churches???

I'd be happy to help if you are feeling inspired to do something. Contact me: I will either send your items to Nick, or give you his contact info.

peace, krissy
__________________________________________________________
Merry Christmas! I guess it's Christmas. It doesn't really seem like it.


I am in Iraq. That's about it.

The people here are friendly and people just like everyone else across the world. Sorry to be generalizing. They live the lives they have and are content with it. Many here want better lives for their children.

This is actually a more serious note. There is great need here, but more importantly, there are a lot of kids. The only way to keep our kids from fighting their kids is to reach out to the children. It'll take a generation here and this is my goal. I'd like you to attempt to gain the support of local community organizations and churches if you can. Send everything to me and I will personally ensure it is put into the hands of someone who needs it. I will take pictures and give feed back to any organizations/chruches that are involved. I have a list of things that would be preferred.

1) Tons of cheap candy. Don't get the good stuff. They don't care.
2) School supplies, especially pens and notepads.
That's a big one. The kids like to learn and write english.
3) Shoes for kids are another big item here.
4) Soccer balls and other general round balls are great. They want those everytime we go into town. Don't send basketballs or normal footballs, but smaller footballs work.

I am going to focus this stuff on the farm community because the city kids are supplied pretty regularly by our Civil affairs representative. You do not have to do this, but I think it's a good idea. DO NOT SEND MONEY.

Thank you for your support if you give it this way, but otherwise thanks for it in thought. Please go through organizations. Don't spend a lot of money buying stuff or anything like that. Use other resources. It might take up your time. I thank you for that! Take care again and enjoy your vacations if you have them!

Nick

1 comment:

SouthernCanadian said...

Krissy,
Email me your contact info, and I'll put some things on my list for when I go school shopping for spring semester! Thanks! :)

Kristine